\documentclass{article} % Your input file must contain these two lines \begin{document} % plus the \end{document} command at the end. \section{Mathematical Formulas} \label{math} You can see the power of \LaTeX when you have to type a complicated formula: \begin{equation} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{a^i}{b^i} + \frac{c_i}{d^i} \end{equation} \label{add} Here's how they look when displayed: \begin{equation} \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_{i} = \int_{0}^{1} f \label{integral} \end{equation} and in the text: \(\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_{i} = \int_{0}^{1} f\). \section{Cross-References} One reason for numbering things like figures and equations is to refer the reader to them, as in: ``See Equation~\ref{add} and Equation~\ref{integral} in Section~\ref{math}.'' You don't want the ``2'' to appear in the input file because adding another equation will make it become Figure 3. \subsection{Citation} A citation is a cross-reference to another publication, such as a journal article, called the \emph{source}. The modern method of citing a source is with a cross-reference to an entry in a list of sources at the end of the document. With \LaTeX, the citation is produced by a \texttt{$\backslash$cite} command having the citation key as its argument. According to our survey of one-time password, the technique proposed in \cite{lamport} is used in RFC 2289~\cite{rfc2289}. \begin{thebibliography}{99} \bibitem{lamport} Leslie Lamport, ``Password Authentication with Insecure Communication'', {\em Communications of the ACM}, November 1981), pp.770-772. \bibitem{rfc2289} N. Haller, C. Metz, P. Nesser, M. Straw, ``A One-Time Password System'', {\em IETF RFC 2289}, February 1998. \end{thebibliography} \end{document} % The input file ends with this command.